Rest In Peace, Biscuit

This morning I found out that our family dog, Biscuit, had passed away around 4:00 am. My parents had boarded him at the vet on Friday. He was throwing up Friday morning but after he calmed down, they dropped him off and he seemed ok. They were going away for the weekend for my brother’s graduation and couldn’t take him with them. Apparently he had another episode Saturday night and the vet called to alert my parents, but they didn’t seem worried.

They got a call this morning saying he was checked on around 3:00 am and was fine, but when checked on again around 4:00 am he was gone.

IMG_8288

Biscuit was a good dog. He was almost 16 years old next month,  he lived a long and happy life. We got him when I was 10 years old (that tells you hold old I am!), I remember begging my parents to get him for my brother and I. They surprised us with him when we were staying with my Grandma one summer. It was the best surprise!

I remember when I was 10 I made lots of promises to walk Biscuit and feed him and take care of him. I wanted him to be my dog. But at such a young age with school and everything else going on my mom ended up taking care of him more than my brother and I.

Biscuit was always her dog.

He loved her most because she walked him and fed him and took care of him the most. I understand all that more now that I am old enough and responsible enough to take care of my own dog, but having a dog in the family growing up was always a good thing!

IMG_8286

This is the most recent picture we have of Biscuit. When Jackson was down in Virginia last week my mom took both of them to have their picture taken. I always laugh at this picture because Jackson is leaning away from Biscuit ever so slightly.

Biscuit snapped at Jackson when he was a puppy to let him know who was boss, so Jacks has always been a little leery of him. But it’s still a good picture of the family pups!

Biscuit lived a good life. In the past few years he had gone deaf and his seeing was going more recently. Getting old as a dog or a human is a bitch! I am so very sad for his loss and even more sad for my parents who have to go home to a puppy-less house. I am happy that he passed away at the doctor’s and not at home with my parents. I believe that makes things easier for everyone. He went when he was ready and he wanted to go alone.

Biscuit, we love you and you will be missed. I hope you enjoy puppy heaven, I’m sure it’s lovely there.

• Reply ~Mrs. Guru~ May 30, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Sorry for your loss.

• Reply Ashley - Fashionably Fit May 31, 2010 at 2:39 am

Losing a pet is always very sad. I love the photo of Biscuit and Jackson.

• Reply Melissa May 31, 2010 at 3:32 am

Losing a pet is so hard. My cat passed away about a month ago, at age 20, and it was still really sad.

(But congrats on your 1/2 marathon)

• Reply Jimmy Spinelli May 31, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I am sorry for the loss of Biscuit, I know how sad it is to lose a pet. About a year ago our cat Frank who was 20 passed away, and a few months after that our dog Dotz the Dalmataion who was 14 left us to visit Frank. We now have two cats Grey and Orange that we adopted from a shelter.

• Reply Rubí Flórez Z. May 31, 2010 at 2:25 pm

It's so sad! 🙁
    Sorry for your lost.
    The most wonderful it's the time and memories of your life with Biscuit adn all the things that you shared with him.

• Reply Karma Girl May 31, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Leslie – I am so sorry to hear about Biscuit. Jimmy and I know too well the pain and sadness of losing a pet and we feel your loss. The picture of Biscuit and Jackson is so great. O's.

• Reply Ashley May 31, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I am so sorry! We lost our family dog not too long ago (she was 16 too) and I know it is hard!

• Reply amanda June 1, 2010 at 12:24 am

ah! i am so sorry to hear this. biscuit and jackson look so cute in their picture together. i love that your mom took them for their photo!

remember all of the awesome times you had with your pooch. and now he's feeling no pain. cuddles and biscuit will take good care of each other in puppy heaven. i'm sure of it.

xoxox

• Reply ladypurpl June 1, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Thanks for Biscuit's Memorial – you are the best!
    It's lonely without him here! Love you!