City Runner

Subtitled: No, I’m not a tourist, I live here.

Today I did something a little different from my normal Kelly Drive route. I went city running or running in the city.

I conquered this new path in my new kicks.

DSC_1626

I purchased the Brooks Ghost sneakers at the Philadelphia RNR Expo this past weekend. I was in need of some new shoes and it was now or never as the Chicago Marathon is quickly approaching.

These will be the shoes that (fingers crossed!) carry me across the finish line! I heart them.

DSC_1627DSC_1637

I have worn Asics my whole running life up until now so I was a little nervous to switch, but I really like how these fit and feel.

DSC_1631 DSC_1632DSC_1633

My favorite part of the shoes is the back. I love the lines that look like gills. I think its the coolest part!

DSC_1636

They were almost too pretty to be taken out for a run, but I had to break them in sometime!

IMG_0006

I met up with running BFF Lauren for a little post class jog. We were both ready with our garmin’s on our arm!

IMG_0007

We went from school down to the Schuylkill Banks for a pretty view.

IMG_0008

I almost died mid-run when Lauren spotted this snake in the middle of the path. I think I left a bruise on her arm from grabbing her so hard! Snakes freak me out! Can you see the little guy in this picture? I swear he was coming after me!

IMG_0010

We made a loop down by the Banks and then looped around the Art Museum to tackle the Rocky Steps

IMG_0011

Lauren and I made it to the top and had a mini photo session.

IMG_0012

Did you know I love jumping pictures? I think they are awesome.

IMG_0014IMG_0015 IMG_0013

I also love the 10 second self timer on my camera. Woohoo!

IMG_0016

The Philadelphia skyline isn’t too shabby either!

IMG_0017

Lauren and I then did a mini step workout.

IMG_0018IMG_0019

We channeled our inner Rocky.

IMG_0020IMG_0021IMG_0022

Then we went over and hung out with Rocky.

IMG_0024

I swear we both live here, but sometimes its fun to act like a tourist in your hometown!

We want Rocky to send us good vibes for our upcoming races!

IMG_0025

In other news, isn’t this statue pretty? I enjoy it.

IMG_0028

After our Tour de the Art Museum area, we continued on our run, this time we conquered some of the streets of Philadelphia.

IMG_0029

I am not really a city runner. Sure I live in the city, but I tend to avoid running in the city. It can be more like going on an obstacle course than going out for a nice run.

IMG_0030

You have to avoid cars, stop for stoplights, watch out for cracks in the sidewalk, avoid pedestrians, be aware of passing busses – You need to really be on your game!

IMG_0031 IMG_0034

IMG_0035 IMG_0036

I much prefer hitting the pavement, turning on my ipod (aka – all Glee, all the time!) and zoning out for a few miles, but that’s just me.

IMG_0037

Are you a city runner? Do you like city running? Let me know your thoughts!

• Reply ~Mrs. Guru~ September 23, 2010 at 9:41 pm

I love running in the city!

• Reply Becky September 23, 2010 at 9:47 pm

You always have so many fun photos of your runs. I wish I was in them.

• Reply kilax September 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I've been wanting to try those! I love my Adrenalines but think I could use a shoe with less support.

I love the photos. What a fun run! I prefer nature trails 🙂

• Reply Forward Foot Strides September 23, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Nice kicks!

Sometimes it IS fun to be a tourist in your own city!

I am primarily a city runner, since I live right in the city. I don't like running downtown though, too crowded! (And too many smokers).

• Reply Emily September 24, 2010 at 10:44 am

I also would have DIED at the sight of that snake. Ick! They freak me out to no end. I loveee city running. After growing up in Vermont I never thought I would be such a city runner, but living in DC has made me appreciate it. And I now think it's the BEST way to see a new city while traveling!

• Reply Nichole September 24, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Your Brooks are so much cuter than mine:( I like city running, if I am going somewhere I haven't been, it's a good change of pace. The people, traffic, etc. can be difficult though. I would love to do that Rocky stair climb, my dream!

• Reply Lawgirl September 24, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I love city running!!

• Reply Jack September 25, 2010 at 9:21 am

I love these pictures! I love city running some of the time. Like you said there are lots of things to avoid- cars, construction workers, cracks in the sidewalks. However, there is something about running over one of the bridges over the interstates and looking down at all the people sitting in traffic to make me feel totally free at that moment.

• Reply Aimee September 25, 2010 at 11:09 am

I'm not a runner of any sort, but I love mixing up my walks with new views. 🙂 I too love jumping photos!

• Reply ladypurpl September 26, 2010 at 11:25 am

You and truly crazy with those jump photos, but they always turn out fabulous! You and Lauren looked like you had alot of fun – good for you for trying something new! You'll be ready for Chicago – don't fret!