The Ball Jar Bandwagon

I don’t know about you, but I have been seeing Ball Jars all over the blog world lately. I have been seeing them so much in fact that they made it onto my grocery list over the weekend and I picked up myself a nice little case of quart jars!

DSC_0345

They are a pretty good size jar!  $9 bucks for 12 glass jars!

DSC_0346

I got a case of quart size regular mouth Ball Jars which hold 32 ounces. They come in a bunch of different sizes, but this was the biggest I saw.

DSC_0347

As usual, Jackson modeled for size comparison.

DSC_0355

The 32 oz. jar is as long as Jackson’s middle section.

DSC_0359

My goal for getting the jars was to organize the all the bags I have in my pantry. I have bags of rice and beans and pasta! Everything is all over the place and I need some organization in my life.

DSC_0360

This makes me feel so much better about life than a bunch of bags with clips rolled up in balls in my pantry! No wonder I could never find anything in there!

DSC_0373

Now I can easily see what I have and what I need. Like now I know I need more whole wheat pasta and I am running low on lentils. Noted.

DSC_0376

Its so much easier to easily see what I have when I am wondering what I want to make for lunch or dinner. And the fun colored beans are pretty to look at!

DSC_0377

A few of the jars I labeled on the top so I would know what they are.

DSC_0369

Here is all the fun stuff I got in my jars so far. So pretty! I filled all the jars up with rice and beans and pasta and seeds oh my!

DSC_0379

This is so much easier on the eyes and easier to keep track of. I love it! I am not sure if I am going to keep the jars in this corner of the kitchen or if I will keep them in pantry. I might move them around and see how I feel, but I really love the jars!

DSC_0381

Are you a Ball Jar fan? What do you use them for or what would you use them for?

What do you think of my organization?

• Reply thesundayflog September 21, 2010 at 11:01 am

i LOVE ball jars, either for drinking or organization. i love restaurants that serve drinks in them! i have been wanting to re-do my pantry for a while, ever since flour moths were brought in to my house! eek. you just lit a fire under my butt. they look awesome! i used to have a lamp that had a ball jar for the base, and my mom would fill it with multicolored lentils. your picture reminded me of that!

• Reply Jack September 21, 2010 at 11:47 am

i took my first stab at canning this summer. (http://jackcling.blogspot.com/2010/07/just-call-me-martha-effin-stewart.html)

It was quasi successful, and I still haven't tasted the goods. But, I still have a bunch of jars left over. Thanks for the ideas of how to fill them!

• Reply Veggies, Cake & Cocktails September 21, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I am a ball jar fan. They always remind me of my dad. He used to use the larger size to drink water from all the time.

I have a bunch, in different sizes, and use them for all kinds of things. I use them for storage, drinks, serving soups, traveling containers…and so much more.

• Reply Lawgirl September 21, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Ya know, I've been collecting these and I didn't know for what. You just gave me a fab idea! Why didn't I think to do that. I too have bags of rolled up rice, pasta etc and don't know what to do with them. And they look so pretty with the contents!

• Reply ladypurpl September 21, 2010 at 5:22 pm

My mom used to can fruits and veggies in Ball Jars. Of course, your idea of putting contents into them looks so pretty and practical. I do like the display on your counter too.

• Reply Nichole September 21, 2010 at 5:27 pm

My grandmother has been using these babies since before the Internet, lol. LOVE them. I like them for parties too, drinking glass- nice southern touch.

• Reply suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] September 21, 2010 at 6:13 pm

$9?!?! I keep seeing them all over the internet for way more than that. :/

• Reply Cynthia (It All Changes) September 26, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I use them for canning but after seeing them around the blog world for storage I just bought quart size today.