Brunch at Jack’s Firehouse

Today we met up with Charles’ sister (and now my sister too!) Kate – she was in Philly for the weekend so we decided to meet up for a meal. The word on the street is that Jack’s Firehouse is a good place for some good brunch action so we headed over there.

DSC_0698.jpg

We were greeted at our table with some lovely banana bread, which was amazing, and some corn bread too.

DSC_0684.JPG

Kate & I enjoyed some adult beverages with our brunch.

DSC_0685.jpg

I skipped breakfast with the hopes of fully being able to enjoy my meal out but nothing could have prepared me for this – I ordered the Breakfast quesadilla expecting something big but manageable, but this thing was MASSIVE! I swear it had 9 eggs in there! I was able to eat half before surrendering – it was very tasty though!

DSC_0688.JPG

Charles channeled his inner child and got chocolate chip pancakes

DSC_0689.JPG

While Kate enjoyed a frittata.

DSC_0690.JPG

It was fabulous to get to spend some time in Kate while she was in the city.

DSC_0695.JPG

DSC_0701.JPG

The heat today in the city was pretty horrible – way to hot to spend time outside in my opinion, but we did manage to pass by some people enjoying themselves the fountains.

DSC_0703.JPG

We spent the rest of the day running a few errands and just enjoying a day where we had nothing planned. I love weekends like these, they are the absolute best!

DSC_0709.JPG

I did manage to pick up some water ice on the way home – Strawberry Lemonade – my new favorite flavor!

DSC_0713.jpg

A question for my Philly friends: Where is your favorite place to brunch in the city?

• Reply Shannon July 23, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Farmacia and rx restaurant are both great! I’ve heard great things about honey sit and eat but I haven’t been there yet.

• Reply Nina @ Sweating It July 23, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Ahhh! Your posts make me miss Philly so much! I just moved out of the city and am spending the summer in Indiana (mehhh) before moving to DC (yayyy!). Luckily it’s only a quick two hour train ride so I can pop over and get some Philly lovin whenever I feel the need.

For brunch, and pretty much ANY meal, I’m totally obsessed with Beau Monde Creperie at 6th and Bainbridge. I went there on a French field trip when I was in high school and when I lived in Philly I’d make at least a few pilgrammages there a year. They have really interesting brunch crepes that are stuffed with poached eggs and salmon, or eggs, blueberries, and syrup, which seems like the weirdest combo but is SO GOOD. Wish it was still around the corner 🙂

• Reply Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese July 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I love your dress! Where is it from? Brunch looked amazing! Happy Saturday!

• Reply Leslie July 26, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Hey Jane – the dress is from Urban Outfitters!

• Reply Allie {A Teaspoon of LIFE} July 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I have never heard of a breakfast quesadilla before! That sounds super yum!!

• Reply Madeline - Greens and Jeans July 23, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Cafe Estelle is my current favorite! Brunch is one of my favorite things

• Reply sara July 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm

i second the recommendation of beau monde!

also:
    morning glory
    honey’s (nolibs)
    a full plate (nolibs)
    sabrina’s

i’ve also heard that kanella (http://www.kanellarestaurant.com/) is amazing, but i’ve never been. if you like greek food, that’s probably a good place to check out for an awesome brunch!

• Reply Amanda July 23, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Really love National Mechanics in Old City. They have a make-your-own bloody mary bar!

• Reply Jenna July 24, 2011 at 6:42 am

I would third Beau Monde! In addition to crepes they have great salads.

A few of my South Philadelphia favorites are Green Eggs and Chhaya. Also for a bonus: I would suggest Ultimo for coffee. Not an enormous food selection, but what they have do have is local and of great quality. My fiance is the “mayor” there are foursquare. I would highly recommend it!

• Reply Alex @ I Eat Asphalt July 24, 2011 at 9:11 am

I always loved Sabrina’s (who doesnt?) but Kanella has amazing brunch. They also used to do this family style dinner on Sunday nights but I think they might have stopped for the summer. Kanella is by far one of my favorite restaurants.

• Reply Leslie July 24, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Thanks for all the amazing brunch recommendations! I will definitely add them all to my to-eat at list

• Reply Patty O July 24, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Sounds like you had a lovely afternoon on such a hot, humid day!

• Reply Amanda @ Cucina Amanda July 25, 2011 at 8:23 am

Dan and I love the Tenth Street Pourhouse as well as the original Sabrina’s on Christian and 9th!

• Reply Jackie July 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I agree w everyone who wrote about Sabrina’s. I’ve tried to go to other places but I always end up changing my mind last minute and going back there! It’s always so delicious! 🙂