Marathon Costumes

With the Marine Corps Marathon less than 2 weeks away I am getting pretty excited to run 26.2 miles for the 3rd time!

201110171247.jpg

Since MCM is run the day before Halloween I was thinking about a running costume situation. I believe the word on the street is that some people go all out to celebrate Halloween and the Marathon with crazy costumes. I am toying with the idea of running in something fun – I believe my Rainbow Brite costume might be the only thing I have that I could actually run in!

Check it out:

n6101132_34029830_3606.jpg

I did a little research online and found lots of crazy costumes people run marathons in – here are some of my favorites:

stewie-marathon-costume2.jpg

london_marathon_costumes_35.jpg marathon-costume-0.jpg

enhanced-buzz-17379-1272291403-1.jpg

media_https2buzzfeedcomstaticenhancedterminal01200911210enhancedbuzz34812571741613jpg_wylEeCdzfhcJEfs.jpg.scaled500.jpg enhanced-buzz-17261-1272291538-2.jpg

I know comfort is important when running 26.2 miles, but these things are pretty silly!

*******************************************************

What are your thoughts on running marathons in costume? What is the craziest outfit you have ever seen in a race?

******************************************************

• Reply Heidi Nicole October 17, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I love running in costume! You get a ton of crowd support and it is a great topic starter with fellow racers!

I’m currently working out the details for this year’s Halloween half marathon costume and have it almost squared away! Last year I was a jazzerciser {http://bit.ly/q8vKHN} and this year I’m going as Recyclops {but cuter!} from The Office. I love green so I am pumped!

• Reply Rebecca @ Runner with an Appetite October 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm

You’ve got to do it! I did it last year when it was on Halloween and ran it as Lady Gaga. Totally made the race much more enjoyable than it would have been sans costume. You can see pictures on my old blog: http://runningthismuch.blogspot.com/2010/11/marine-corps-marathon-race-report.html

• Reply Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com October 17, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Wow! Some runners get super creative! I think costumes are fun but I’ve never run a race in one. Chicago has an “Elvis is Alive 5K” every year that a few friends and I are planning to do. As I’m sure you can guess, everyone dresses up like the king! 🙂

• Reply Emily G. October 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm

haha! I lovvve the Whoopee Cushion!!

• Reply Teeny@trackingteeny.com October 17, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Running in costume is awesome. I just did a little run dressed with a crew of fellow Zombies. You get an added dose of excitement AND fun.

But, I like my costumes to be comfortable as well. Makeup based costumes (face paints) are perfect because you can still wear running clothes. Thinking of Space Monkeys for my Space Coast Half Marathon coming up. 🙂

• Reply Caitlin C. October 17, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I haven’t seen many crazy marathon costumes but two races in my area, one on Thanksgiving and one around Xmas called the Santa’s Run, are FULL of fun costumes! There’s a guy covered in caution tape and tools called “Safety Man” and he always steals the show on Thanksgiving. At least one group always shows up as Santa and his reindeer for the Santa’s Run and are actually harnessed to each other!

• Reply Patty O October 17, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I think the Rainbow Brite costume would be fun – just make sure that you would be comfortable and don’t chafe. The leg/arm warmers would definitely keep your muscles warm in case it was cool. I don’t see how people can run with masks though – I think it would be terribly hot under a mask. Costumes are always fun for the spectators though!

• Reply Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs October 17, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Woah – that Eiffel Tower dude is hard core!!

I did the Wine & Dine Half at Disney last year and there were a lot of people dress like bottles of wine/grapes. I think the funniest one was a guy dress up with the guy from The Hangover — baby and all. We took pictures with him – and he did run the entire race with the baby (doll) strapped on his chest!

• Reply amanda October 17, 2011 at 11:30 pm

haha! that tiger running costume cracks me up! i love it. i’d never be able to run in it, but i love it.

i think the rainbow brite costume would look so colorful and fun! howeverrrr…i’d give you MAD credit for running a marathon in it.

i love a good costume-especially themed runs. but running anymore than a 5k in one is just too uncomfortable for me.

i look forward to hearing what you decide to do!

• Reply Allison October 19, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Haha, too funny! When I was in Boston, I saw a couple of people dressed as the red Solo cups 😛

• Reply Despicable Me Minion Rush Hack January 10, 2014 at 4:44 am

Greetings from Colorado! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your website on my
    iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the info you
    present here and can’t wait to take a look when I
    get home. I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my phone ..
    I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, fantastic blog!

My web blog – Despicable Me Minion Rush Hack

• Reply Free Energy Solar Stirling Plant February 18, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the images on this blog loading?
    I’m trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.
    Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Take a look at my web-site – Free Energy Solar Stirling Plant