San Francisco Travel Reccomendations

** ADVANCE FOR MONDAY, JUNE 2 **A restored neon sign glows from the Ferry Building at dusk in San Francisco, April 24, 2003. The Ferry Building, a long-neglected landmark at the foot of Market Street where ferryboat commuters have shuffled through darkened corridors for years, has reopened as a bright new attraction for tourists and food lovers. The historic building is the latest in a transformation of the city's waterfront, which has blossomed since the quake-damaged Embarcadero Freeway was torn down.(AP Photo/Eric Risberg)

So as I mentioned in my – on weaning baby #2 post – we are packing up and heading out on a kid-free vacation in San Francisco in a few weeks! We are traveling with another couple and are all so excited, as we’ve never been to California {except for the airport} so it should be a good time. I’m REALLY pumped!

That being said, we are in the process of planning out our trip and mapping out our days to get the best use of our time there. We are going for 5 nights so we have a good bit of time to be out and about – But if you’ve never been somewhere before, it can be a little overwhelming as to where to start!

I wanted to put it out there to my fabulous blog readers for recommendations! We are looking for suggestions on places we should eat, visit, things to do.

We have Friday, Saturday + Sunday to fill up with plans and we have a all day wine tour of Sonoma already on the schedule. Don’t you worry, we WILL be hitting up wine country! Ha! Should we do Alcatraz? Redwoods?

Any favorite places to eat? What about any wineries you suggest we should hit up?

I would LOVE any suggestions you may have!

san-franc

• Reply Erin O October 20, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Things we enjoyed in San Francisco were: Buena Vista Cafe for Irish Coffees, Muir Woods, Alcatraz, Ghirardelli Square for sundaes.

• Reply Patty O October 20, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Fisherman’s Wharf for eats, Lombard Street, some people walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. Glad you are taking a day trip to Sonoma, you will absolutely love it!

• Reply Nicole October 21, 2016 at 4:59 am

I went with my family when I was younger and we rented bikes and rode over the golden gate bridge to Sasalito. It was amazing (a pretty good ride too). We ate in Sasalito and then took the ferry back with our bikes. It’s the one thing I remember about San Francisco. Alcatraz and Muir woods are great.
    My husbands uncle lives there and he took us to some fun places to eat last time we were there. There is a place called the pork store cafe for breakfast. Hole in the wall but delicious. Also if you go to Muir Woods there is a little town on the way on the water. Great Mexican restaurant called The Cantina. Enjoy!

• Reply Jen C October 21, 2016 at 8:46 am

We loved wandering around the Ferry Building. There’s also a fabulous Italian restaurant (fairly casual) called The Stinking Rose. It’s the only place we ate at twice while there for our honeymoon in 2010. It would be perfect for lunch.

• Reply erica October 21, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Hi Leslie – I moved from Philadelphia (where I discovered your blog) to San Francisco four years ago. Here are some ideas but if you have any questions let me know!

Dim sum (authentic) – Hong Kong Lounge & Ton Kiang (doesn’t usually have a line like HKL does).

Mission:
    So many great restaurants! Burma Love is delicious (get the tea leaf salad)
    Beretta – amazing pizza small bites and cocktails, great atmosphere! Good date night spot or brunch.
    AVB – bar with great bar snacks and one of the best cheeseburgers in SF.
    LoLo – delicious tacos and food in general, great drinks – perfect for any meal and great area of the Mission to walk around before/after.

Tosca Café & Park Tavern in North Beach (fun Italian neighborhood)

Highly recommend renting bikes and biking to Sausalito and having lunch at Fish. You can take the ferry back from there or bike to Tiburon and take the ferry there.
    Explore the Ferry building!
    Check out the Sutro Baths and hike Lands End (really beautiful and not difficult hike). Would be a good thing to do and then get dim sum.

If you love dumplings I highly recommend Shanghai Dumpling King. Cash only and byob.

Walk around the Presidio, beautiful! Great restaurants in the park as well.

PS If you want to check out Muir Woods I say skip paying the park fee and just go on a hike nearby, a) you don’t have to pay and b) less crowded! I like Tennessee Valley hike and also Mt Tam which are both near Muir Woods.

• Reply Krista October 22, 2016 at 11:41 am

Artesa is a great winery and I think the views are the best about it. If you have time that is a great one to see. Mondavi winery is good too. Also if you like Irish coffee you must check out The Buena Vista which made the first Irish coffee and they are right in San Fran near the Giardelli Square. So good!

• Reply Amber October 25, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Eagle Cafe on Pier 39 (Fisherman’s Wharf) has fantastic clam chowder! We also enjoyed Alcatraz. There are some nice knockoff handbag stores a block south of Pier 39. If you go to Ghiradelli, order from the upstairs counter. The downstairs part always has a line a mile long (saw this tip on Trip Advisor and it was true).