I was in recent need of some recipe inspiration! I was starting to feel like I eat a lot of the same meals over and over again. I try to make most of my meals easy and nutritious. I want to put stuff on the blog that I feel my readers would want to eat too!
I read Caitlin’s blog everyday! I was so excited when I met her at the Disney Blogger meet-up a few weeks ago. I am not only inspired by her athletic accomplishments, I am also inspired by her meal creations! She makes such yummy meals!
I was most recently inspired by Caitlin’ s Santa Fe Casserole. Beans, veggies, rice and cheese – OH MY! Below is how Caitlin made the dish. I followed it pretty much exactly.
Here is what you will need for this amazing dish:
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon EVOO
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 1/2 can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 and 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 large pepper, chopped
Here is how you make it:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a casserole dish with EVOO spray.
- In a skillet, cook the onion, garlic, and EVOO on Medium High until tender. Add the salt and chili powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the pepper, milk, beans, COOKED brown rice, eggs, cheddar cheese, and green pepper.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish and sprinkle with extra pepper.
- Bake casserole for 25 minutes or until center is firm.
- Let cool 5 minutes and serve.
I love quick and easy casseroles’ that aren’t too massive. Its nice to have a casserole dish where fiancé and I can eat the leftovers the next day for one meal and not be drowning in leftovers for the next few days! This was the perfect amount!
I couldn’t decide if I wanted my casserole on a plate or in a dish. It was a tough decision! I started off with a scoop on a plate…
But then promptly moved it into a bowl!
How do you eat your casserole’s? Plate or bowl?
This dinner was so easy and such a hit! Fiancé and I loved it! The veggies were awesome and the rice and cheese were a perfect addition. Yum yum! It was very filling!
What’s your favorite casserole creation? I am always looking for new recipes and tips. Please share!
Don’t forget to enter my Harbinger Giveaway! Ends tomorrow!