New York Marathon Morning

Yesterday morning was a crazy experience that I will not likely soon forget. Ashley and I woke up bright and early to get ready for the New York City Marathon.

We were both stressing a bit about the time change and set multiple alarms all around her apartment to make sure we got up on time. We were also both a little sleepy but we got a pretty good 7 hours of sleep, love that extra hour from daylight saving’s time!

I brought a bunch of layers to wear in the morning. One of which being Fiancé’s old jeans which he was getting rid of. I may have looked a little like a thug, but they jeans were awesome at protecting my legs from the wind! Ashley looked pretty in pink!

IMG_0256 IMG_6837

It was crazy to think that when we woke up in the morning we still would have a good 4-5 hours before we would start the race – such is one of the charms of running a marathon in NYC!

We got ready and made our way to the Staten Island Ferry.


Everyone was assigned different transportation to the start line when we picked up our race bibs, either by ferry or bus. Ash and I were both assigned to a ferry. There were a lot of people there!


The sun was coming up in the sky right as our ferry was leaving.


I was obsessed with taking pictures of the sunrise.


Our ferry took us past Lady Liberty.

IMG_0263  IMG_0265

Ashley and I purchased fleece robes from CVS the night before the race as part of our throwaway clothes to keep us warm a few hours before the race while we were waiting to go.


Everyone was complimenting us on our outfits, it was so fun! We just wanted to stay warm but people loved it!

Let me just say that this was the best $8 I ever spent! It kept me warm the entire morning! I donated it to the clothing area before I started running – I hope it makes its way to someone who needs it.

 IMG_0267 IMG_0269 

In the distance we saw the Verrazano Bridge which we knew we would be running over soon!


Can you believe this was my first time seeing the Statue of Liberty? I was pretty excited! I want to come back to NYC and be a total tourist and climb it! Next NYC trip!


Did I mention it was super windy on the ferry? We we cold, but braved the weather to take in some amazing views.

 IMG_0276 IMG_0277 IMG_0279 IMG_0280

Inside I broke out the foil blanket from my most recent NYC Half Marathon for additional warmth. It was a cold morning, there was a serious nip in the air.


Ashley was rocking her pink outfit to the max with her pink robe and pink sweatpants. She also picked up this fancy faux fur wrap which kept her next and head warm. She was looking snazzy! 🙂


After a quick and scenic ferry ride we made it to Staten Island. I had never been here before either so I was excited to check it out.


We decided to stay in the ferry terminal for an hour or so to stay warm. We had 2+ hours before I had to get in my corral and didn’t want to rush to sit outside and be cold, so we hung out here with some magazines and enjoyed our breakfast. It was lovely and a smart decision, if I do say so myself!


Before we made our way to the marathon buses we took some pictures of the Manhattan skyline.

 IMG_0287 IMG_0288

See you in a few hours Manhattan!


Then it was time to get on the busses to take us to the Marathon Start Line Village.

 IMG_0290  IMG_0292

Ashley and I were excited to get in the warmth of the bus!

IMG_0293  IMG_0296

After a short ride we were being dropped off by the start line. I must say that even though it was a pain to get up super early and make our way from Manhattan all the way down to Staten Island, the transportation provided by the marathon all went really smoothly.


We walked through the toll booth to the village.

IMG_0300 IMG_0301

Ashley and I were both in the Green corral which worked out nicely, but the village was a little bit of a crazy experience. 


There were thousands of people everywhere and we were following our signs to our Green area, but we didn’t really know what was going on. I couldn’t hear anything on the loudspeakers being announced, which proved to be a problem.



Once in the village I met up with Aileen who was running her second NYC Marathon this year. It was exciting to see my buddy at the start line, even if it was for a few seconds.

IMG_0306 IMG_0307

Ashley and I settled into an area on the ground I got  all my stuff ready for the race.


I was supposed to be starting in Wave 1 which is when the race officially started at 9:40 am (so late!) – and I was told that the corrals would close at 9:15 am – a half hour before the start, which made sense to me.


Then I heard someone say the Wave 1 corrals were closing –at 8:55! I threw together my stuff, gave Ashley a hug and ran to the corral entrance and was told it was too late. I was 5 seconds late and they wouldn’t let me  in – there was also a large group of other people who didn’t hear the announcement and weren’t let in either.


It was really frustrating being unable to start at the time I had been planning to start all week. It was also rough to have to stand out in the cold for extra time. I told my family I would be a half hour later than planned. It was a major bummer they were so strict.


Eventually (what seemed like FOREVER) the wave 2 corrals opened and they let us in. Everything was seriously roped off and they weren’t letting people move up at all. It was crazy all the people that were jammed into a small space!


At least I had some beautiful scenery to enjoy (the Verrazano, not the port –o-potties!)  🙂


Eventually at 9:40 they let our some gun shots and we saw the first wave take off on the bridge.


See some people on the top and bottom running?


As the first wave took off running then it was time for wave 2 to move up to the start line.


People were EVERYWHERE, it was madness!


While I waited in line I was entertained by the helicopters and planes in the sky. I wish I could have seen what we all looked like from up there! Would have made a good picture!


I loved the inspiration from this sign flying high above us.

“Breath Deeply and Appreciate the Moment”

Serious words of wisdom right there!


The green corral went on the bottom of the bridge and orange and blue went on top. See all the people on the top of the bridge?

 IMG_0324 IMG_0325

After a few minutes, we were off!


Passing the starting line I couldn’t believe that I was running my second marathon in one month!


Stay tuned for the rest of my New York Marathon recap!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like


  • Reply Lizzy November 8, 2010 at 1:38 pm

    Your pics are amazing! Did you run with your camera? I'm working on my recap now… its taking me awhile! Stinks you couldn't have gotten into the earlier corral- we could have started together!

  • Reply Theresa @ActiveEggplant November 8, 2010 at 2:44 pm

    This post makes me think of 2 races: the Peachtree Road Race and the Disney Marathon!

    Peachtree is the same way with strict corral open/close times and the massive amount of people (55,000 for a 10k!). We always have to get there uber early, even if we're in one of the last waves to start.

    Disney was FREEZING this year (Jan) and we had to bundle up like you/Ashley did! I looked like a blueberry in my matching blue sweatsuit that I picked up at Walmart for $10 the day before. It was only 17 degrees at the start which is insane for FL! I think I had on 4 layers altogether!

    Can't wait to see the recap of the rest of your NYC Marathon experience!

  • Reply April November 8, 2010 at 3:01 pm

    Amazing pictures! Love that banner! Can not wait for the rest of the recap.

  • Reply November 8, 2010 at 4:40 pm

    ah the suspense! I cant wait to hear more. Suh a bummer about the corrals! no fun!

  • Reply ladypurpl November 8, 2010 at 7:30 pm

    Loved the post and photos – I feel like I ran the race and now know exactly how your morning went – The Statue of Liberty looks amazing – have to see that someday mysef!

  • Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    error: Content is protected !!